Sunday 11 August 2013

A Golfing Revelation

So here's my first golf post since starting this blog and since taking up golf.

I started golfing at a driving range on a camping holiday in France. While the kids were in kids club my girlfriend and I thought we'd give it a go, and I caught the bug.

When we got back to the UK I picked up a cheap set of clubs on EBay and hit the range. I'd practice two or three times a week and devoured instructional videos from the likes of Mark Crossfield on YouTube.

I think I managed to craft a half decent swing (for a complete beginner), I was going round my local municipal course in about 105-110 on average, but I was struggling with a wicked slice with my driver.

I had 3 or 4 half hour lessons but they weren't really bringing my scores down, I shaved about 5 strokes off my average score, so I posted a few practice swings on YouTube and shared the link on reddit and got a little feedback.

Well, what a result. I knocked 22 shots off my score. My goal was to break 100 convincingly and after a on track front nine of 48 I was reasonably happy at the turn. I proceeded to play the best back nine of my life. 5 pars, 3 bogies and one blow up triple bogie.

I smashed my goal and finished on 85! All I need to do now is get back out there and do it again. I can't wait

Here's the practice swings if you want to take a look. I'm obviously over swinging, I spotted that, but I was also swaying my hips forwards which was causing me to hold the face open at impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment